Back in December, Bangkok’s weather was perfect—cool mornings, fresh air, and that “mini winter” feeling that made everything better. I heard it was even colder up north, but it already felt pleasantly cool for me, almost like summer back in the UK. I was running outdoors, taking long walks, and just enjoying how comfortable the city felt. It was the kind of weather that made you want to be outside. Some locals were even wearing winter jackets, which was quite comical, and a few asked if I was cold because I was still in my usual sportswear and shorts.
Then, I left Bangkok for a few days, heading back to
Singapore and Penang for some errands. When I returned, I felt like I had
stepped into a completely different city. While flying back into Suvarnabhumi
Airport, I could already see the thick haze hanging in the air, blurring the
skyline. The cool, refreshing weather was gone, replaced by a thick,
suffocating smog that made everything feel dull and oppressive. Bangkok had
changed—and not for the better.
The air got so bad that authorities started offering free
rides on public transport, including the BTS Skytrain. At first, I was like,
Yay! Free rides! But then I wondered—why were staff handing out free cards at
the stations? When I asked around, locals told me the idea was to reduce car
usage and lower emissions. A solid plan in theory, but in reality? The trains
were packed. Bangkok’s BTS is always busy, but this was another level.
Squeezing into a train during rush hour felt like a survival game. It was as if
everyone had forgotten that Covid ever happened. And now that the free rides
have ended, I’m not sure if they made any real difference. The air still feels
just as bad.

As a runner, this haze has been a nightmare. Running
outside is out of the question—unless I want to choke on pollutants. Running
with a mask? Even worse. So, I’ve had to move my workouts indoors, swapping
outdoor runs for gym sessions. I go to the gym for my PT sessions anyway, but
it’s not the same. There’s something about running through the city, feeling
the fresh air (or what used to be fresh air) that a treadmill just can’t replace.
I’ve been staying indoors as much as possible. Bangkok’s
pollution levels have been hovering in the “unhealthy” range, and at this
point, I would rather not risk it. My only real exposure to the haze is the
1.6km walk home from the train station; even that feels too much sometimes. It’s frustrating.
The free public transport initiative is over, but the
pollution isn’t. Bangkok recently ranked among the most polluted cities in the
world, and unless bigger changes happen, this isn’t going away anytime soon.
For now, all I can do is take precautions—wear masks, stay indoors when
possible, and hope that real solutions are on the way. But let’s be honest, we
can’t keep hiding from the air forever. Something has to change.
Have you been struggling with the haze, too? How has it affected your daily routine? Let’s talk in the comments.
May x
No comments:
Post a Comment