▼

Tuesday, March 11, 2025

Sambour: A Journey Close to My Heart — Part 3

Waking up early isn’t always my thing, but on this trip, it felt different. Maybe it was the excitement, or maybe it was knowing that today, we were finally heading into the villages. Either way, I was up and ready to go.

Our journey started with an hour-long van ride to the jetty, followed by a boat ride across the river. From there, we switched to a tractor—yes, a tractor! If you’ve never taken a tractor ride before, imagine a bumpy but fun experience, especially when you’re surrounded by endless greenery and fresh air (got to strike that off when we we are actually sucking the dirt while driving too fast). It was definitely a mode of transport I wouldn’t forget.

When the WV staff told us we'd be taking a big wooden boat, I’m sure it has a name in Khmer—but to me, it’s a sampan with an engine.

The tractor gave us a good workout, a nice tan, and a free dust bath for the day!
Sambour’s heat and dust are no joke!


Our first stop was a primary school. During the trip briefing, we were told that classes here are shared between two grades—Grade 1 with Grade 4, and Grade 2 with Grade 3. At first, I couldn’t wrap my head around it. How could one teacher manage two different levels at the same time? But as soon as we stepped into the classroom, I saw it with my own eyes. The students sat quietly while the teacher taught one grade, patiently waiting for their turn. It was impressive.

A simple school with only two classrooms. Each is shared by two grades.

One classroom, two grades, and a teacher guiding them all. Such respect for their dedication and passion. 

One of the trippers, Fynn, who is also a teacher, volunteered to teach at the school during our visit and prepared creative activities for the students. Seeing their excitement and how much they enjoyed learning, even with limited resources, was heartwarming. It reminded me why education is so important and why sponsorship goes beyond just providing school supplies.


After the school visit, we split into smaller groups to visit the Most Vulnerable Families (MVF). I was assigned to visit a family of ten—grandparents, parents, and seven children. The youngest was just nine days old, while the eldest, a 14-year-old boy, had left home to become a monk because they couldn’t afford his education. It was heartbreaking.

The living conditions of the MVF home, where a family of 10— including a 10-day-old newborn.


Despite their struggles, the family was doing their best. They had a small piece of land for farming and lived near the river, which provided access to water and fishing. Their home was a tiny hut, with everyone sleeping in the same space. But thanks to the support from World Vision, they were learning better farming techniques and had access to a latrine—a small but significant improvement in their daily lives. During our visit, we even joined them in planting vegetables, a simple but meaningful experience.

Hands in the soil.

The day ended with a visit to a secondary school and a community library. Some trippers had brought English books to donate, and we also participated in tree planting with the students as part of the Child Sponsorship Learning Program (CSLP). I’ve always loved gardening, but this was special—I planted a tree alongside two young girls, knowing it would grow with them.

English books were generously donated by fellow trippers.
I’ve always loved gardening, but this moment was truly special.
Tree planting with the students.

As we made our way back to the hotel, travelling the same boat-tractor route, I couldn’t stop thinking about the resilience of the community. For them, these daily journeys weren’t just part of a trip—they were a way of life. And I was only just beginning to understand it.

Stay tuned! Every moment here is unforgettable. I can't wait to tell you more! 

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment