▼

Monday, August 24, 2026

Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata | Book Review & Thoughts on “Normal”



This was a short but surprisingly thought-provoking read.

It’s funny in a very dry way and sometimes quite uncomfortable — because the person who seems “strange” may actually be the one who understands the world most clearly.

The story follows Keiko, a woman who has worked at the same convenience store for 18 years and is perfectly happy with her life.

Keiko has always been considered unusual. Even as a child, she reacted to situations differently from everyone else.

But because she doesn't follow the usual path of getting married, having children and building a conventional career, everyone around her thinks something is wrong with her. They think she needs to be “fixed.”

I actually liked how the book made me question what “normal” really means. Why do we assume everyone has to want the same things in life?

And then there’s Shiraha. 🫩

The more I read about him, the more I kept thinking, is there really such a human being? And how can someone like this exist and live their life?

What an arrogant, useless human being. I honestly found him so infuriating. 😂

He drove me crazy, but perhaps that's also what made his character so memorable.

Maybe that's part of what makes the book so good — it makes you uncomfortable, makes you question society, and definitely gives you someone to hate. 😂

Not sure I loved the book, but it definitely gave me a lot to think about.

Maybe the biggest takeaway for me is that “normal” is not necessarily the same as “right.” We all have different ideas of what makes a life meaningful, and perhaps we should be a little less quick to decide that someone else needs to be “fixed.”

May xx

No comments:

Post a Comment