My incredible journey has carried me from the couch to the finish line of marathons. Back in my school days, running was a common activity, often a part of PE classes and annual sports days, though I never thought of myself as a particularly skilled runner.
My journey into the world of running began in late 2012, all thanks to an invitation from my sister and her friend to join them in the Penang Bridge Marathon's 10km fun run. I embarked on this adventure with no prior training whatsoever. It was a daring move, and to my surprise, I conquered my very first 10km run. Although I walked like a crab the next day, that memorable day marked the rekindling of my love for running.
I became addicted to the thrill of running and soon found myself registering for more running events in Penang. However, my passion had to make room for weekend studies, so I couldn't be as active as I wanted to be until 2014. It was during this time that I mostly participated in 10km events. In 2016, I took on my first half marathon, and that's when the real adventure began. And from that moment, there was no turning back. I've completed a grueling 50km Ultra Marathon, conquered 45 Half Marathons, and 9 Full Marathons to date. I take immense pride in the numerous trophies I've earned from the many local races I never backed down from—until the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The COVID-19 pandemic brought new challenges, including lockdowns in Penang, which imposed restrictions on outdoor activities. However, I was determined to keep running. I even tried running indoors, even if it made me look like a mad person. Despite the limitations, my passion for running remained unwavering.
During those runs, I couldn't help but ponder questions about the art of running, such as the right footwear, effective workouts, injury prevention, and optimal training methods. My running friends were a great source of wisdom, even though they weren't professionally certified. Their insights fueled my interest in fitness and the need to understand it better.
An important turning point in my journey came from a place of deep concern. I witnessed my beloved grandmother's health decline due to limited mobility, primarily caused by knee pain. Her frail body and delicate skin were powerful reminders of the significance of staying active, building our muscles, and looking after our overall health. Her struggles began in her late 60s, and she gradually reduced her movement around her late 70s, particularly after a fall. She became hesitant to move, and the arrival of Covid-19 further exacerbated her condition, causing her to age significantly, with arthritis adding to her challenges.
Fast forward to 2021, still serving as a CFO and juggling responsibilities among 4-5 offices in the Asia region, I stumbled upon an opportunity that felt like destiny—a Personal Trainer course offered via Zoom online study. It was a perfect fit. I signed up, eagerly attended classes, immersed myself in self-study, and my interest in fitness deepened further. I found myself brimming with ideas and aspirations to leverage this newfound knowledge to help others lead healthier lives.
My aspiration is clear. I will use my passion for fitness and personal training to make a positive impact on people's lives.
I hope you enjoyed reading about my experiences and motivations. Thank you for joining me on this incredible adventure. Stay tuned for more stories, insights, and inspiration on my journey from the couch to becoming a marathon runner and an aspiring fitness trainer.
Together, we'll discover the joy of a healthy lifestyle, one step at a time.
May x


No comments:
Post a Comment