Saturday, September 14, 2024

A Journey of Impact: Meeting My Sponsored Child in Mongolia

It's been a week since I returned from Mongolia, but the memories remain fresh in my mind. This was my third trip with World Vision Singapore, yet each experience feels new in its own way. Visiting the communities, meeting the people, and witnessing the impact of sponsorship firsthand reinforced why I continue to be part of this journey.

Mongolia is a land of vast open spaces, rolling steppes, and a deep-rooted nomadic culture. The weather was just great—probably because I've gotten used to the cold seasons—but there were moments when the sun warmed our faces, and in the next, strong winds sent chills down our spines. But what truly stood out was the resilience and hospitality of the people we met.

The trip to Selenge was unforgettable, made even more meaningful by the warmth, friendliness, and incredible talents of the people I met along the way. I travelled with 21 other trippers, and we began our adventure with a nearly 13-hour flight to Ulaanbaatar. After a day of exploring the city, shopping, and enjoying dinner together, we hit the road the next day, embarking on a six-hour journey to a remote town. The scenery was breathtaking—endless stretches of green and distant mountains that looked like something out of a painting. It was so peaceful and beautiful that it was hard to find words to capture its true essence.

Captured this along the way on our bus journey. I'm not sure exactly where I am, but the scenery is absolutely breathtaking.

I have to be honest; no camera can truly capture the view the way your eyes do. 

We met with the local governor and attended a graduation ceremony for a community development program, which equips people with skills, resources, and training to become self-sufficient. Seeing their achievements was truly inspiring. Later, we visited a local school, where students showcased their talents with a lively judo performance—an impressive display of energy and skill.

These young faces in traditional Mongolian attire made our arrival unforgettable. 

Met these amazing young judo athletes during my trip. Their dedication and passion for the sport is truly inspiring. 

Day 3 was particularly eventful. We toured a school dormitory and learned about an innovative water sanitation and hygiene programme. During the visit, we were introduced to a traditional Mongolian game called shagai, which is played with ankle bones (sheep or goat ankle bone). It's more than just a game; it's a cultural tradition passed down through generations. 

The talent and spirit of these students are truly something special. 

Visited the new WASH programme facility today. I’m so glad the children now have a better place to use. The old facility had them walking out from the dormitory, which was a real challenge during the cold winter months. It’s heartwarming to see the positive change. 

The ankle bone game, or shagai, a traditional Mongolian game.

In the afternoon, we visited herder families supported by World Vision, gaining insights into their way of life. I even had the chance to try horse riding and scooping cow dung (yes, really!). Being inside a traditional ger was an eye-opener, making me wonder how they endure the harsh winters.

Getting a firsthand look at the daily life of a herder’s family

The view and the traditional ger feel like a scene from a painting.

Unfortunately, the day took an unexpected turn when I sprained my ankle in a fall. The pain was intense, and I feared it might be broken. The nearest hospital was two hours away, and even then, there was no doctor—only nurses. After an X-ray, we had to search for a pharmacy to get the necessary medication. The situation was overwhelming, but I was incredibly grateful to Claire and the World Vision Mongolia team, who stayed by my side, ensuring I was comfortable and supported. Their kindness made all the difference during such a challenging moment.

On Day 4, despite my injury, I didn't want to miss out on any part of the trip. We visited the local World Vision office for a briefing and then went to a library to meet savings group members. The success stories shared were uplifting—these groups empower individuals to take control of their finances and build supportive communities. Some even use their savings to assist members in times of need, reinforcing resilience and solidarity.

Later, we attended another graduation ceremony for beneficiaries who had completed a livelihood training programme. One of the stories that stood out was of Bumaa, who participated in a life skills training course in sewing and now runs her own business. Her words, "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime," resonated deeply with me, reminding me of the lasting power of education and empowerment.

Bumaa's amazing story

We also had the chance to visit some of the most vulnerable families, witnessing the immense challenges many face. Many are grappling with generational poverty, alcohol addiction, and limited access to resources. We visited one family whose middle son was in the hospital for appendicitis, and the eldest son shared their story with us. The condition of their ger, which had been damaged by the mother's outbursts, was heartbreaking. There was little support available to address deeper issues like rehabilitation services, which could truly make a difference in such situations.

One of the MVF houses — not in the best condition

Before we left, we took a detour to the Russian border for a cheeky little adventure just before calling it a day.

The border


Day 5 started with a visit to a familiar place—the hospital where I had been treated for my ankle. It looked completely different from my last visit! This time, we were there to hear students share how they had benefited from the Health Education Programme, which empowers the younger generation with crucial knowledge.

Then, we also visited a school to learn about their Child Development Club, which includes sports, arts, and life skills training. What stood out to me was their inclusion of children with special needs. I had the opportunity to sit with an older student who taught me how to make handicrafts, a way of developing motor skills. It was a heartwarming experience, and I truly enjoyed my time with him.

In the afternoon, we split into two groups for volunteer activities with local CSO members. I joined the painting team, while others took on the challenging task of building a ger for a vulnerable family. Once we finished, we went to check on the progress of the ger and witnessed its handover ceremony. One of our fellow trippers even sponsored the boy who would be living in the new ger—a touching moment that highlighted the lasting impact of this trip.


Day 6 was the highlight of the trip, which was meeting my sponsored child. I had been looking forward to this moment for so long, and it exceeded all my expectations. She spotted me first during an icebreaker game and came straight to my side. My heart was filled with joy. We spent hours playing games, singing, and dancing, and with Uuree as my translator, I learned more about her life and family. Her determination and competitive spirit reminded me so much of myself. Saying goodbye was tough, but I will always treasure the gift and letter she gave me—a truly touching moment.


After our emotional farewell, we visited Saikhanii Khutul National Park near the Russian border. Despite my sore ankle and fear of heights, I couldn't resist taking in the breathtaking views. The hike was tough but absolutely worth it.




That evening, we gathered for a farewell at the hotel, saying our goodbyes—not just to fellow trippers setting off on their own journeys but also to the incredible World Vision staff who made this experience possible.

Looking back, I feel so incredibly grateful. Meeting my sponsored child and seeing the impact of World Vision’s work firsthand was deeply moving. It’s one thing to hear about these efforts but another to stand in the very places where change is happening. The resilience, warmth, and strength of the people I met left a lasting mark on me.

Before leaving, I made a decision that felt right in my heart. A new Area Programme was being established in Dornod, Mongolia, and World Vision Singapore organised a Chosen programme. After witnessing the challenges families face, I knew I wanted to be part of the journey ahead. Since it was also the last day for registration, I signed up before I left. Because even the smallest steps can make a difference, and this trip was a powerful reminder that we all have the ability to create meaningful change.

If you’re interested in making a lasting impact and changing the life of a child, consider sponsoring today. Visit the World Vision website to learn more and join this meaningful journey.

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts