Friday, March 28, 2025

My Earthquake Experience in Bangkok

Today, I experienced something I never thought I would have to face—an earthquake in Bangkok. What started as a normal day turned into a state of shock only hours later. The tremor hit around 1:25 PM, and at first, I honestly thought I was just feeling dizzy from my reading glasses. I took them off, checked, and put them back on—nothing seemed off. But then, the shaking got worse.

At first, it felt like a strong jolt, but soon, it became something much more intense. The pictures on my walls rattled, and I saw the door swing open by itself. My heart raced as I recalled the safety advice—hide under something sturdy. Without thinking, I dove under the table. The shaking was terrifying, and for a moment, I wasn’t sure what was happening. It was frightening.

I grabbed my housekeeper, who thankfully was with me today (otherwise, I would’ve been alone), and we rushed out of the building. My boyfriend is traveling, so it was just the two of us. We ran downstairs and waited in the open air for what felt like an eternity. Nearly four hours later, we were given the all-clear to return.

However, things didn’t calm down immediately. The building manager recommends that we not stay overnight due to the lack of official safety clearance. There was no guarantee the building was structurally safe after the quake. They needed an assessment and approval from local authorities before allowing residents to stay. It was a huge reminder of how fragile our sense of security can be and how quickly everything can change.

As I write this, it’s been almost ten hours since the earthquake, and I still feel like the ground is moving beneath me. It’s surreal. The feeling of unease is still with me, even though the tremors have stopped.

I’m counting my blessings that my family and I are safe, but I can't help but think of all the people affected, especially the children and families. My thoughts are with those in Myanmar as well, who are facing similar devastation.

I’ve never experienced something like this before. It was a wake-up call on how quickly life can turn upside down, and how we all need to stay prepared. It’s hard to imagine how those in affected areas are coping, but I’m hopeful that strength, safety, and recovery will come to them soon.

For now, I’ll hold on to the fact that I’m safe and continue to pray for all those impacted by the earthquake. Stay safe, everyone.

Read more at:



Images: 

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts