Yesterday, I took part in the Pattaya Marathon 2025. I ran the Half Marathon instead of the Full Marathon. And honestly, that was one of the best decisions I made. I wasn’t trained enough for the 42km beast, and by the end of my 21km, I knew I made the right call.
My only goal was to finish — no pressure on timing — and I crossed the line in 2:29:58 (though my Garmin said 2:30:05, but let’s not argue with chip time 😅).
The morning started off with a drive to the starting line, and as I was on the way, I saw full-marathon runners already on the route near where I stayed. They were probably 12–15km into the race, and I had one of those “oh wow, 42km is really far” moments. It made me respect the full marathoners even more.
The weather held up — thankfully, no rain — but it was incredibly windy throughout the run. While running along Pattaya Beach and Jomtien, the strong winds were blowing sand straight into my face and onto my body. It honestly felt like I was getting a free (and not entirely pleasant) scrub. 😂
One thing I really loved about the experience was the energy along the route. The cheer crews were fantastic — colourful, loud, and full of good vibes. The water stations placed every 2 km were a real lifesaver, especially with the wind and heat.
But not everything was pretty. There was a stretch along Beach Road that had the most brutal sewer stench. I’d been warned about it beforehand, but nothing quite prepared me for how awful it would be. It hit hard, and I definitely held my breath longer than I thought possible.
Physically, the race had its challenges. I had one pee stop, and cramps decided to visit me right at 18km and again at 19km. I slowed down, walked a little, and just kept going — and I’m grateful those moments weren’t caught on camera (I hope 😅).
Crossing the finish line felt amazing — not just because of the sense of accomplishment, but because of the food trucks waiting there. I’m not exaggerating when I say they made the effort feel completely worth it.
A big shoutout to the organisers, volunteers, and photographers — the event was so well-run, and I truly appreciated all the support along the way. And I absolutely loved the photos that were taken — such great memories to keep.
It wasn’t the easiest run, but it was a meaningful one. A test of endurance, mindset, and a reminder that sometimes, just showing up and finishing is more than enough.
May x


No comments:
Post a Comment