Tuesday, March 24, 2026

My First Crochet Project as a Beginner


Beginner crochet project.
I finally did it — I completed my first crochet project.

Meet Fred the dino. 🦖

This is something I’ve been wanting to try for a long time. My mum was always really good at crochet. Growing up, I remember seeing her work, and somehow it always felt a bit out of reach for me. Like… I could do cross stitch, maybe some knitting, but crochet? Different story.

Recently, I kept seeing beginner crochet kits on Instagram, and I decided to just give it a try. I ordered one, thinking it would be a small and manageable first project.

The kit came with everything I needed, along with step-by-step video guides. It made learning crochet as a beginner feel less intimidating. I used this kit if you want to have a look: The Woobles Crochet Kit.

But still… it wasn’t as easy as it looked.

I had to restart a few times. Actually, more than a few. I kept losing count of my stitches — please tell me I’m not the only one 😅 — and every time that happened, I had to undo everything and start again. Typical perfectionist behaviour, and yes… I did get a bit frustrated at some point.

Funny enough, I caught myself thinking — closing monthly accounts feels easier than this.

But I kept going. Slowly figuring it out, one step at a time.

And then… somehow, it started to come together.

Not perfect, but I made it myself.
This little dino is actually called an amigurumi — a type of small crocheted stuffed toy. I didn’t even know that term before I started.

It’s not perfect. You can probably tell it’s a beginner’s work. But I made it myself, and that counts for something.

There’s something quite satisfying about creating something with your hands. I guess I’ve always liked handicrafts — seeing a piece come together is just… satisfying.

The struggles, but it is all worth it.
So yes — a small win, but a meaningful one.

And now, Fred sits there as a reminder that maybe I can learn new things, even if it takes a few tries (or many restarts).

I might try another one… let’s see how it goes.

May xx

Disclaimer: Some of the links here are affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts