Saturday, August 15, 2026

Book Review: A Quiet Place by Seichō Matsumoto

🚨 SPOILER ALERT 🚨

I read this book a month ago and am now trying to get back on track with my reviews. 😂

The story follows Tsuneo Asai, a Japanese government bureaucrat whose younger wife, Eiko, suddenly dies of a heart attack while out in Tokyo.

At first, Asai accepts her death. She had a heart condition, so a heart attack isn't completely unbelievable. But one thing bothers him, and he starts investigating.

Asai's suspicions about Eiko are basically correct.

And then things take a very different turn.

The man who begins the story investigating a mysterious death eventually becomes a murderer himself.

But the ending felt so strange to me...

The first part reads almost like a very quiet detective story. You're slowly uncovering what Eiko had been hiding and trying to understand what really happened.

But ultimately, I don't think this book is really about solving the mystery of Eiko's death.

It's more about jealousy, obsession and how the need to know the truth can slowly consume you.

And that ending... I still don't know how I feel about it. 😂

Maybe the unsettled feeling is exactly what the author wanted to leave us with. 😮‍💨

May xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts