Monday, July 15, 2024

Travel Hiccups: Lessons Learned from a Disappointing Experience

I was really looking forward to running the Gold Coast Marathon, but unfortunately, my excitement turned to disappointment due to a series of unforeseen issues.

Photo by: May

I applied for an ETA to enter Australia, expecting the same swift approval I had experienced in the past. However, this time, the process took 4 days instead of the usual seconds. My application wasn’t rejected, but I received an email stating that it could not be finalised at that time. I was instructed to submit additional information through ImmiAccount, including a copy of my passport biodata page and evidence demonstrating my intention of a temporary visit. 

Also, it requires proof of employment in my home country, a bank statement showing sufficient funds to support myself during my stay, and details about my family background. It was a horrendous experience. I was forced to cancel my trip because the ETA was approved just a day after my scheduled flight. This delay had a domino effect, leading to the cancellation of both my flights and hotel bookings.

In an attempt to make the best of a bad situation, I contacted the marathon organisers to ask if they could courier my running bib to me. I knew I wouldn’t be able to collect it in person or sell it, so I was willing to pay for the service. Unfortunately, my request was turned down. This left me not only disappointed but also out of pocket for a significant amount of money.

Looking back, I realise the importance of applying for travel documents well in advance. The lesson is clear: don’t wait until the last minute, especially when it comes to something as important as an international marathon.

To make matters worse, I fell ill after attending the trade show in Singapore. I suspect it might have been COVID-19. On the bright side, missing the marathon meant I could recover without the added stress of travel and racing.

Though I’m still unhappy about the whole experience, I’m trying to focus on the positives. Sometimes, life throws unexpected challenges our way, and all we can do is learn from them and move forward.

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts