The Garmin Run Asia Series is a collection of running events held across different cities in Asia, bringing together runners of all abilities. From half marathons to 10Ks, it’s all about encouraging an active lifestyle and creating a sense of community. This year, I had the chance to take part in the Garmin Run Asia Series Thailand Half Marathon, and here’s how it went...
Race weekend kicked off with the Race Pack Collection the day before. The whole process was smooth and well-organised, making it easy for runners to collect their bibs and explore the event area. There were various stalls selling running gear, hydration products, and race merchandise, creating a lively atmosphere. One of the fun surprises was a mini challenge by Garmin, where runners could participate in a quick activity to win small prizes. I queued for about an hour, gave it a go, and won a Garmin cap—definitely worth the wait!
Then came race day.
![]() |
| Photo by Garmin Official Photographer: The energy at the start line was amazing! |
A huge thanks to my partner for waking up at an ungodly hour to drop me off at the venue. Having that support made all the difference. I started in Pen 1, which was both exciting and intimidating. Everyone around me looked focused and ready to race, and I felt the pressure creeping in. If I held back, I would probably get pushed along by the crowd, so when the gun went off, I just started running… and kept going.
I went into this race with only one goal—to finish safe and strong. Pace didn’t matter today; I just kept praying my ankle wouldn’t give me trouble, especially on the hilly sections. My mind kept calculating backup plans—worst case, I would walk. But surprisingly, my legs kept going. I only stopped briefly at the hydration stations for a quick sip before pushing on.
![]() |
| Photo by Garmin Official Photographer: Crossing that finish line was the best part of the race |
The 21.1 km route took us through the streets of Bangkok, but it wasn’t the most scenic race I’ve done. What stood out, though, was the incredible organisation. The hydration stations were well-placed, the volunteers were encouraging, and the atmosphere was electric. But what do I love most about running in Thailand? The post-race experience. Finishing a race here isn’t just about crossing the timing mat—it’s a celebration. The post-run spread was next level—food, drinks, desserts—everything a runner could ask for after a long, exhausting run. I was so drained that I could barely decide what to eat first!
This race reminded me why I love running events—the adrenaline, the energy of the crowd, and the feeling of pushing through doubts to finish strong. It wasn’t my fastest race, but it meant a lot to me. Getting through it, despite my uncertainties, was a win in itself. Now, I can’t wait for the next one!
A massive thank you to Garmin Thailand for putting together such a well-organised event, the dedicated crew and volunteers for making everything run smoothly, and all the photographers for capturing all the race-day moments. You guys made this an unforgettable experience! You guys rock!
Now that it’s over, I’m left thinking about what’s next. What about you—have you ever pushed yourself in a way you didn’t expect? I’d love to hear your stories and experiences!
May x


No comments:
Post a Comment