Thursday, December 5, 2024

My Journey in the Amazing Thailand Marathon 2024

Last Run of the Year. The Amazing Thailand Marathon Bangkok is an annual event held in Bangkok, and it's one that I've always looked forward to. Before COVID, it was usually held in February, and I'd participate every year. But like so many events, things changed after the pandemic, and the marathon was shifted to December. It's been years since I last ran this race because it always clashed with the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon (SCSM). So, this year, I decided to skip SCSM and experience it again.

Photo credit AMTB 2024 Official Photographer: A crowd of runners

The race pack collection took place at Central World Life, and when I arrived, I was surprised by the long queue. Since it was a weekday morning and the first day of collection, I didn't expect such a large turnout. Despite the crowd, the process went smoothly, and everything was well-organised. There were several shops selling running shoes, sportswear, energy bars, and other race-related merchandise. It was a great experience, with plenty of options for runners to stock up on what they needed.

Fast forward to race day, I took a Grab over to MBK. The flag-off was at 2 am, and honestly, I wasn't fully prepared for this. I knew it was a bit reckless—jumping into a marathon without proper training, especially after recovering from a sprained ankle. But my goal was simple: survive and finish within six hours.

The start was chaotic, with both half and full-marathon runners starting together. I was in Pen 4, which meant a long walk to the starting line. As soon as the flag went off, we slowly began to move forward. However, with the timing tracker positioned further ahead, it took a while before I could actually start running at my own pace. The congestion made it challenging to find a rhythm early on. While the energy was great, the crowded start made it hard to settle in.

The event was well-organised, with water stations providing small bottles every 2 to 2.5 km. It was convenient and helped keep things clean, but it was not the most eco-friendly setup. Plus, it became a bit of a slipping hazard, with runners tossing bottles and caps without much care.

I hit a mental block earlier than usual—somewhere between 12 and 13 km. By the time we hit the 18 km mark, where the route split for the half and full marathoners, I seriously considered taking the shorter route. The temptation was real. But I reminded myself why I signed up for this and pushed on. From that point, it was a mix of running and walking along the elevated road, battling cramps in both my legs and stomach while trying to enjoy the experience.

When mental block hits, the sunrise reminds me to keep going. 

The sunrise might have been stunning, but the heat was no joke. 

By sunrise at 6:05 am, Bangkok's skyline was breathtaking, but the heat was brutal. By 6:45 am, it felt like I was being roasted alive. Still, I kept pushing forward, and after what felt like an eternity, I crossed the finish line at 5:23:14.

The finish line was a relief, but it also came with a bit of chaos. With runners from all categories finishing together, it got crowded, making it hard to navigate through the area. I had to squeeze around sweaty runners to make my way through. However, the post-race resting area was amazing, with a wide spread of food to refuel and recover, although it was packed with people trying to grab their share. Despite the chaos, it was all part of the experience, and it definitely made me appreciate the small victories of completing the race.

A huge shoutout to the Thailand Tri-league, the volunteers who kept us hydrated and motivated, and the photographers who captured every sweaty, determined moment.

It wasn't my smartest race, but I'm proud of myself for not giving up. Sometimes, it's not about perfect preparation or chasing PBs—it's about showing up, pushing through, and proving to yourself that you can do hard things.

What about you? Have you ever tackled a challenge you weren’t fully prepared for, but still managed to push through?

May x  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts