Monday, March 10, 2025

Sambour: A Journey Close to My Heart — Part 2

The day of the trip finally arrived! I flew directly from Bangkok, arriving in Phnom Penh a day earlier. That extra day gave me time to enjoy some local meals, explore a little, and, of course, do some last-minute shopping for my sponsored children. No matter how much I plan, there's always something more I feel like getting! 😆 Thankfully, SC was there to accompany me, so I didn't have to explore alone.

With all the extra shopping, I'm thankful to SC because some of it went into her luggage, some into my small suitcase, and we managed to shift things around. Problem solved!

In the morning, we met up with the rest of the trippers at the airport as they arrived from Singapore. Seeing familiar faces from past trips and meeting new ones was such a great feeling. There's something special about being surrounded by people who share the same passion for making a difference.

Cheers to the great company, meaningful moments, and the journey ahead!

After everyone settled in, got SIM cards, and exchanged money, we hit the road in a comfortable van, heading from Phnom Penh to Sambour. If there's one thing I've learned from trips like these, it's that getting to the AP isn't a quick journey. It took about six hours, with stopovers for toilet breaks, lunch, and, of course, the very last minute of buying gifts. The road conditions were so much better than last time—no more back-breaking, bumpy rides! That alone felt like a win. Although the drive was long, I didn't mind at all. It gave me time to reflect on my last visit and everything I was looking forward to. Would the girls recognise me? How much had they grown? 

After checking in at the hotel, we gathered for a trip briefing led by Piseth. I have so much respect for him—his dedication to the community is truly inspiring. His team has done an incredible job over the years, and hearing about their ongoing work made me even more excited for the days ahead. He walked us through what to expect, such as the living conditions, challenges, and, most importantly, the achievements made possible through sponsorship and community support.

Gaining insights into the journey ahead. His passion and dedication are contagious.

We wrapped up the day with dinner, resting up for what was to come. We will be heading deep into the villages tomorrow—and I couldn't wait.

This place wasn't just a name on a map anymore. It was a community I cared deeply about, a place that now felt like a second home.

Stay tuned because the real adventure is just about to begin. 🫰🏻

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts