Sunday, March 9, 2025

Sambour: A Journey Close to My Heart — Part 1

When I received the email notification in November 2024 about the trip to Sambour, I didn't hesitate—I clicked and registered right away. Maybe I was the first to sign up, who knows? 😆

Sambour is one of the Area Programmes I've been most excited to revisit after two years. A little background to my story: I had just one sponsored child in this AP two years ago. After my last visit, I returned with 10. So, Sambour holds a very special place in my heart because most of my sponsored children are there. I couldn't wait to reconnect with them!

But it's not just about seeing them again; I was also eager to witness the incredible progress the community has made over the past two years. I feel so fortunate to be part of something so meaningful, especially knowing we have a committed AP Manager and his dedicated team working tirelessly on the ground.

From my previous visit, I knew that shopping locally could be tricky due to the limited time and travel distance to the AP. So, I started planning early— figuring out what gifts they might need. (Trust me, I won't go into the details, but it just shows how excited I was! 😂). Once I had everything sorted, I had a new challenge on my hands. How on earth was I going to pack and bring all these gifts for 10 children? The struggle was real, and even then, I still felt like I could have brought more. There's always that urge to add a little more…

But here's the twist: I realised I would have a whole day in Phnom Penh after finalising my flights. Since I wasn't flying in with the other trippers (they were coming from Singapore), I decided to fly in a day earlier to avoid any travel hiccups. This gave me the perfect opportunity for some local shopping, and I was able to pick up some essential items: the Khmer-English Dictionary (a must-have for all my sponsored children), toothbrush and toothpaste sets, and bar soap. As for the rest of the gifts were already packed from Bangkok, so I felt well-prepared.

Touching down a day earlier in Phnom Penh. I am ready for some peaceful local shopping before the adventure begins!

All the gifts were well packed in the box, and I only bought a small suitcase!

With everything in place, I'm ready for the exciting days ahead—reconnecting with my sponsored children and seeing all the wonderful things that have been happening in the community. 

Stay tuned for more updates! This is just the start of my journey to Sambour, and I can't wait to share more with you along the way.

May x  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts