Friday, April 18, 2025

On the Road: Why We Need to Rethink How We Drive

Lately, I've been seeing more and more news about highway accidents in Malaysia—almost every day, there's a report of a collision, injury, or worse, a fatality.

I'm currently on a road trip from north to south, travelling from Bangkok to Singapore, and I've had the chance to observe the driving culture firsthand. And to be honest, it's frightening.

Some drivers treat the highway like an F1 track—zig-zagging through traffic as if every second saved is worth risking a life. But for what? To be one car ahead? It's really not worth the danger. Getting to your destination safely should always be the goal.

With the rain pouring down, I noticed some still driving as if the roads were dry and empty. A sudden swerve or hard braking on a slippery surface can cause a serious accident, not only affecting you but everyone around you. One wrong move and the consequences can be devastating.

Motorcyclists, too, have been weaving through traffic, even between the fast lanes. I get that time is precious, and many are just trying to get to work or home. But squeezing between speeding vehicles, especially in wet weather, is extremely risky. Our roads may be generally alright, but let's be honest—no road is perfect. One small stone or an unseen pothole is all it takes to lose control and skid.

Some of the traffic delineators here are clearly missing or broken.
These are meant to guide vehicles and create safer merging or give-way zones. 

A random shot while heading towards Terowong Pechala.

Snapped this from my hotel room—can really see how busy the roads are.

At the same time, I've noticed slower drivers occupying the fast lanes, even when they're clearly not in a rush. If you're driving slower, it's important to be mindful and move to the left lane. Blocking the fast lane doesn't just create frustration for others—it creates a dangerous situation that could easily be avoided.

Having experienced different driving behaviours across countries, it's clear: the road belongs to everyone, and we all share the responsibility of keeping it safe. It's not just about your own journey—it's about being considerate and mindful of everyone else on the road.

Drive responsibly, respect the lanes, and remember that your actions have an impact on the safety of others.

Let's Hear From You!
Now that I've shared my thoughts on the state of driving on Malaysia’s highways, I'd love to hear from you. What’s one thing that frustrates you the most while driving? Is it something you've noticed during your own road trips or in everyday traffic?

Feel free to drop a comment below and share your experiences. We can all learn from one another and, perhaps, make our roads a little safer together.

Stay safe and drive responsibly! 

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts