Wednesday, December 17, 2025

Mindful Running: Small Acts Matter

I recently came across a race clip shared by a runfluencer. Later, I had a casual chat with another runner who had reposted it on social media. I usually don’t watch clips all the way through, but that day — helped by Instagram’s x2 fast-forward — I did. And it made me pause.

It got me thinking about something we rarely talk about: how we use hydration stations during races.

Image created by ChatGPT

In the image, which I recreated using AI, a runner grabs a cup of water and splashes it over himself. Totally relatable. Anyone who has raced in the heat knows how desperate that moment feels. Cooling down can feel like survival.

But here’s the part that made me stop.

Hydration stations are hectic. Sweaty runners rush in, their hands moving fast, as cups are everywhere. The water being splashed often comes from the cups meant for drinking. And just a step behind that runner, volunteers are carefully setting up cups for hundreds — sometimes thousands — of runners still to come.

From the front of the pack, this probably looks normal. Efficient. Quick. No time to think.

From further back, it looks… different.

Sweat, water, and fast-moving hands are happening right next to cups that others are about to drink from. And honestly, I don’t want to drink your sweat. I believe most runners wouldn’t want to either.

Perhaps this stood out even more because not long ago, we were all far more conscious of hygiene. COVID-19 changed how we thought about shared spaces, contact, and cleanliness. For a while, we were careful, especially with things near our mouths. As races returned and life felt normal again, that awareness quietly faded.

I’m not saying we need to panic or race in fear. However, a bit of mindfulness around hygiene, particularly at shared points like hydration stations, still matters.

To be clear, this isn’t about blaming fast runners or calling anyone out. Racing at speed is intense, and decisions are made in split seconds.

I’m a runner too... just not an elite or front-packer. I experience races from the middle or back of the pack, where hydration stations are more crowded, slower, and sometimes chaotic. Maybe that perspective is why this stood out to me.

It made me wonder:
  • Can we be a bit more mindful at water stations?
  • Is there a way to cool down without affecting drinking water meant for others?
  • Can race etiquette include hygiene too — not just pacing and racing lines?
I know saying this might invite comments like “then don’t race” or “just stay home." But that’s not the point.

Hydration stations are shared spaces. They rely heavily on volunteers who show up early, stand for hours, and do their best to support every runner — fast or slow. A small action at the front can create a ripple effect further down the course.

Just a gentle note to fellow runners, please don’t cancel me 😅 I’m not here to judge, shame, or act like I know better. I’m simply sharing what I observed, and how it made me think a little deeper about race etiquette and consideration for others.

If this post makes even one person pause for half a second at the next water station, then it’s done its job.

Running may be individual, but races are communal.

And sometimes, awareness starts with noticing the small things.

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts