I’ve been running mostly in the Brooks Ghost range for training and the Launch 8 for events, so trying a different shoe felt like taking a slight step out of my comfort zone. I’m not someone who knows much about running shoes, so switching models usually means I need a bit of reassurance first.
Over the past few years, I’ve tried a few different shoes and some of them ended up causing discomfort and pain in my legs. Coupled with an ankle injury from a year ago, it has made me much more cautious about the shoes I wear. These days, comfort, stability, and how my body feels after the run matter more to me than anything else.
So, I put on my thick skin and reached out to a fellow runner I’ve only chatted with online, the sifu himself, @im_tristupe. Thankfully, he was generous with his advice and explained things in a way that even someone like me could understand. That gave me enough confidence to give the Brooks Glycerin 22 a go.
In simple terms, it’s dual-density cushioning — soft when you’re running slow, and firmer when you pick up the pace. I’ll be honest, I’m still scratching my head trying to fully understand how it works, but the idea made enough sense for me to give it a try.
On paper, it sounded like a shoe that prioritises comfort without feeling dead or overly soft — something that felt suitable for where I am right now, especially with an ankle that still needs a bit of care.
I took the Glycerin 22 out for a 10km run and ran over the new Gurney Bridge, a familiar route that allowed me to focus more on how the shoes felt rather than the scenery (though I still ended up taking photos anyway).
Straight away, the comfort stood out. The ride felt smooth, cushioned, and stable. There was no awkward breaking-in phase, which is always a relief. Despite the extra cushioning, the shoe didn’t feel sluggish. It still responded when I increased my pace slightly.
And yes — I did feel a bit taller. The extra foam underfoot provides a subtle lift, which took a few minutes to get used to, but never felt unstable.
What stood out for me after this first run:
- Very comfortable from the start
- Soft and well-cushioned, but still responsive
- A stable ride that gave me some confidence, especially with my ankle
It feels like a shoe that’s more focused on taking care of your legs rather than pushing you to go faster.
Is It a Race Day Shoe? From what I’ve read, the Glycerin 22 probably isn’t the shoe I’d pick if I were chasing a PB on race day. It leans more towards comfort than speed.
That said, I’m not chasing a PB for a while until I’m ready again. So in my case, it feels like one stone hits two birds (literally, not real birds). It works well for training, could still handle race day if needed, and I don’t feel pressured to buy another pair just for speed. That alone saves some money.
Unless I have a sponsor — then having another pair wouldn’t be a problem. 😅
This is only my first run and just 10km, so these are very early thoughts. I’m not making any big claims yet. Shoes tend to reveal their true personality after more mileage — longer runs, tired legs, and different paces.
For now, the Brooks Glycerin 22 feels like a comfortable and sensible choice that matches where I am in my running journey — cautious, healing, and focused on consistency rather than speed. I’ll share more once I’ve spent more miles in them.
If you’ve run in the Glycerin range, feel free to share your thoughts.
May x
No comments:
Post a Comment