Sunday, December 28, 2025

My Running Journey

I wasn’t athletic when I was young. I loved running, but I was never fast enough to compete properly. The only “competitions” I joined were school sports days, running for my house. That was about it.

After I started working, keeping fit wasn’t a priority at all. Exercise wasn’t even in my dictionary. Running? Training? A healthy lifestyle? I didn’t think about any of that. Life was about work, getting things done, and moving on to the next thing.

I started running again in 2012 with my 🐷 sister and her friend, our adik bongbongsu. My first run was a 10km race. No training. I honestly thought, “How hard can 10km be?” Trust me — it was brutal. My legs were so sore I walked like a crab for days.

But somehow, I went back for more. Slowly, my sister and I continued this running journey together. She has always been my biggest motivator to keep running. My second race — again, with no proper training — was 17km. Painful, tiring, uncomfortable… yet I started to enjoy these little tortures and challenges. Our motto back then was “lambat janji sampai” — and I added “dan selamat”. Years ago, there were quite a lot of accidents during races. It was scary. Finishing safely mattered more than speed.

I couldn’t fully commit to running at that time because I was doing my degree and later my master’s, mostly on weekends. But once I completed my studies in 2016, I ran whenever I could. Weekends became running days. I met many running friends through events. I even flew to nearby “overseas” destinations just to run, because there weren’t many running events in Penang back then. I was addicted.

There were podium finishes at small races. The excitement. The community. The routine.

Then COVID happened. Everything stopped. We were locked inside our homes. I lost my running momentum. I lost touch with my running friends. When things slowly opened up again, work took over. My job demanded more time and presence, and running became my way to release stress rather than something competitive. Events no longer crossed my mind — I never knew where I would be in a few months’ time anyway.

I still enjoy running a lot. Training matters. Friends matter. Having people around you makes a difference — you push each other, encourage each other, and show up together. Most of those friends are now on their own paths, and that’s okay. Fair play to them. I’ve been away from home for a long time since COVID. I left Penang. I left Malaysia.

Running stayed — just in a different form.

Age is catching up — I feel it. Recovery takes longer. Niggles don’t disappear overnight. I’m not as fearless as I was in my twenties, and I don’t bounce back the same way anymore. But I also know myself better now.

I don’t want to run aimlessly anymore. I want objectives. I want goals. Not to prove anything to anyone. Not to chase podiums. But to give my running a direction again — something to work towards, something that makes me show up even on days when motivation is low.

This comeback isn’t about being faster than others. It’s about being consistent with myself. Training smarter. Respecting my body. Setting realistic targets — whether that’s finishing strong, improving endurance, staying injury-free, or simply showing up week after week.

I’ve learnt that running changes as you age, and that’s okay. These days, my goal is simple — finish the run and enjoy the race. No pressure, no chasing others, just showing up and getting it done.


This comeback is quieter, more intentional, and hopefully more meaningful in its own way.

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts