Thursday, January 22, 2026

Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2026

A race with about 74,000 runners participating.

I flew into Hong Kong on the night of 15 January, just a few days before race day. It felt familiar but different at the same time — the kind of trip where the purpose is clear, but you still allow yourself to take things slowly. No matter how many I’ve done (this was my 15th full marathon), race weekends still feel a little special… and a little unpredictable.

Race pack collection was on 16 January, and I took the MTR to Kai Tak Arena. Honestly, it couldn’t have been easier. For someone who always struggles with “GPS signal loss”, this was a pleasant surprise — very well signposted, straightforward directions, and super convenient. No stress, no confusion.

The whole race pack collection was well organised, though I didn’t expect the crowd on a Friday. It was busy — very busy. Once I collected my race pack, I spent some time wandering around the expo. Played a few games, queued for some freebies, and took my time looking around. I guess I’m getting a bit aunty lately — more patient, more willing to queue, and slightly more excited about free stuff than I used to be. Still, it was all part of the experience, and everything ran smoothly.

Race pack collection at Kai Tak Arena
After I received the news that I was accepted to run SCHKM 2026, I was so happy. Then I started researching the course, reading other runners’ comments… and I panicked a little. Bridges, elevation, tunnels — all in one race. But it turned out to be a really nice and manageable run. The temperature was great, and I was never running alone. There were always runners around my pace, never more than a metre away.

The 7:20 am sunrise
The only downside came in the last ~5km when we merged with the HM runners. There was a lot of zigzagging to avoid walkers, which broke the rhythm a bit.

Still, I’m very happy with my performance. Shin and plantar behaved (mostly), though things got a bit painful from 38km onwards — but no major drama, and I’ll take that as a win.

I enjoyed the run, took a few photos along the way, made some necessary pee stops, and stayed well hydrated at every water station (plus some cheeky walks 😌).

Garmin: 4:58:30. SCHKM app: 5:00:17.

I won’t lie — that one stung a bit 😅 I thought the app was showing net time! Thankfully, the certificate came out the next day with my net time: 4:58:27.
A sub-5 after many years. Not something I went in chasing, but a nice outcome of staying consistent — and 35 minutes 6 seconds faster than my SCSM 2025.


More than the timing, though, I genuinely enjoyed the run — and that’s what counts.

What stood out most about this trip wasn’t just the marathon. It was the experience of travelling for a run (even though this isn’t my first), moving through a city with purpose, and letting everything else fit around that one goal.

Numbers aside, I felt grateful — especially for my partner, my number one supporter, who showed up for me despite his stressful work schedule.

Running in Hong Kong is officially checked.
Will I do it again? Maybe.

For now, I’m happy to let this one sit — another city run completed, another chapter added.

Thank you to the organisers and volunteers. Also, this was the first race where I didn’t come across any pacers. Apparently, they were around… but I just never crossed paths with them.

On to the next start line, whenever it comes.

May x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts