Monday, March 30, 2026

A Weekend in Singapore: MacRitchie Reservoir Walks

We’ve been away from Singapore for a while. Whenever we come back, it’s usually only for a short period of time. The timing never seems quite right — sometimes due to busy schedules, and other times because of the weather. Rain often disrupts our plans, and it feels like we rarely get long stretches of time here.

Quiet walking trail in MacRitchie Reservoir with calm nature surroundings
This trip, we decided to stay over the weekend since my boyfriend has to be back in the office on Monday. For me, it’s something I really appreciate — a quiet weekend in Singapore, even if it’s just for a short while.

One of the things we always look forward to is our walk at MacRitchie Reservoir. Our walks are never short. Usually, we cover around 11km, walking through the golf link and TreeTop Walk. Yesterday, we went over 14km, including the distance from Caldecott MRT. It’s a long walk, but we honestly enjoy it.

Quiet moment of reflection during a long walk in MacRitchie Reservoir
There’s something calming about being surrounded by nature (minus the monkeys). The greenery, the quiet paths, and the slow rhythm of walking help us disconnect from everything else. We also appreciate the convenience of public transport — it was easy to get there without needing Grab or a taxi. As long as the weather stays on our side, the experience is even better.

Walking in nature to relieve stress and clear the mind
Lately, my boyfriend has been dealing with a lot of stress, mainly from work. It has been ongoing for months, and it has taken a toll on him both physically and mentally. On top of that, he has been trying to work on his weight and overall health.

He is currently taking a more strict approach to his diet, and while I understand his intention to improve his health, I do have some concerns about whether it is sustainable for him. As he is working full-time and already under a lot of stress, I worry about whether he is getting enough energy and proper nourishment.

I don’t fully agree with everything, but I also try to be mindful of how I express my thoughts. He has been more short-tempered lately, likely due to the stress he is facing, so I try not to add unnecessary pressure. At this point, I can only support him in the way he is comfortable with.

One thing I really appreciate is that he still makes the effort to go for walks and do light exercise. When he is at home, he is more disciplined with his routine, although things can be more challenging when he travels, especially when it comes to maintaining habits.

Our walk yesterday felt especially meaningful. For me, it was a chance to clear my mind and take a break from unnecessary thoughts. Walking through nature helped me feel lighter and more present. For him, it was a quiet moment as well — a way to unwind in his own way. Sometimes, he zones out or gets lost in his thoughts, and I gently nudge him back into the moment.

I really hope things get better for him soon — especially with work. The stress has been affecting him for a long time, and I just want him to feel healthier, both physically and mentally. For now, we’ll keep doing what we can. Just walking, one step at a time.

May xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts