Tuesday, July 21, 2026

SCORE Marathon 2026: The Half Marathon I Ran Without Any Expectations

Score Marathon 2026

Last weekend, I flew from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur for a half marathon. I arrived on Saturday, collected my race pack, rested and prepared for the race the following morning.

On Sunday, I stood at the starting line without any expectations because, honestly, I wasn't sure how my body would cope with 21.1km.

I hadn't been training consistently, and my plantar fasciitis was still recovering. I knew I wasn't properly prepared for the run, and I didn't want to push myself so hard that I ended up aggravating my foot again.

So, I decided to take a different approach.

I would run when I felt like running, walk when I felt like walking and simply enjoy the experience.

And surprisingly, I did.

There was no pressure and no chasing a particular time. I just listened to my body and enjoyed the run.

And I'm really proud of myself for that. 🥹

I used to be the kiasu type who put so much pressure on myself to run faster and finish within a particular time I had set for myself. This time, I didn't. I simply wanted to get through the run safely and enjoy the experience.

One thing that made me feel surprisingly good throughout the race was carrying a small bottle with me.

And yes, thanks to Thai Airways. 😂 I took the small mineral water bottle with me because it was just the right size and handy to carry. I'm just recycling the bottle.

It kept my hands busy while running, and I was able to drink water regularly instead of waiting until I reached the next water station.

But most importantly, I didn't have to throw away any cups along the route.

There were reminders made to all runners about not littering. Unfortunately, I still saw runners throwing their cups onto the road.

I know it may seem like a small thing, but I do think we can all do better. The volunteers are already working hard to support the runners and keep the race running smoothly. They shouldn't have to spend extra time cleaning up after runners who simply throw their cups onto the road.

Now, about the route…

Was it just me, or did it feel like I was constantly running uphill? 😂

I hate elevation.

Every time I thought I had reached the top of a “hill”, there seemed to be another one waiting for me.

Perhaps it felt more challenging because I hadn't trained consistently, but I definitely noticed the elevation throughout the route. Thankfully, I had no target time to chase, so whenever I felt tired, I simply slowed down or walked.

The toilet situation was probably one of my biggest frustrations during the race.

I was holding my pee from around 3km until 12km because every portable toilet available at the water stations had a queue of at least 10 people.

There simply weren't enough toilets at the earlier stops.

Eventually, I gave up and joined the queue. I probably wasted about three minutes waiting.

Three minutes may not sound like much, but every minute counts when you're trying to get to the finish line.

Hopefully, future races can consider providing more portable toilets at the busier water stations.

One more thing I noticed was the lighting in some areas of the route.

There were sections where spotlights appeared to be shining directly towards the runners. I have astigmatism, and the glare was really intense. There were a few moments when the lights were shining directly into my eyes, making it difficult to see clearly while running.

I'm not sure if other runners experienced the same thing, but perhaps the positioning of some of the spotlights could be reviewed for future events.

Overall, I thought the SCORE Marathon was a well-organised event, from race pack collection to race day itself.

I went to the expo quite late, so I probably missed out on a lot of the freebies. 😂

Congratulations to SCORE Marathon on a successful event and on achieving the Malaysia Book of Records for the largest running event in Malaysia! 

A huge thank you also goes to all the volunteers and photographers who made the event possible and captured so many moments along the way. 

Race day through the lens of VE Pictures.

This was not my fastest half marathon.

I didn't chase a personal best or have a target finish time.

But I enjoyed the run.

I ran when I felt like running, walked when I needed to walk and listened to my body throughout the race.

And I'm proud of myself for that.

21.1km done, with a few “hills” I definitely didn't ask for, no expectations and a reminder that sometimes the best runs are the ones where you simply enjoy the journey.

And for where I am in my running journey right now, that's something worth being proud of.

May xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

Changing My 2026 Running Plans After Surgery

I had quite a few races planned for 2026. But sometimes, life has other plans. Why am I changing my plans? I recently had surgery to remove ...

Popular posts